On 5 April we reported that a revised Rule 28 IPREE had come into force. The new rule imposes a requirement on trainees to register for the EQE within 2 months of commencing “their professional activities or employment as defined in Article 11(2) REE”.
Since that post, more information has come to light about the registration procedure, details of which are set out below. We also understand that the EPO is in the process of updating its website to explain the registration procedure.
Thanks to the kind individuals who got in touch with us to provide this information.
Anyone who has recently joined the patent profession and, in particular, anyone eligible to sit the pre-exam in 2018 for the first time should:
- Go to https://www.epo.org/learning-events/eqe.html
- Click on the “Admission and enrolment” tab, and navigate to the “2017 enrolment” page: https://www.epo.org/learning-events/eqe/admission/2017.html
- Click on the web portal: https://www.eqe.org/EQEASy/candidate/auth/login. Click on “Create Account” at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the forms to create a new user account.
- Wait for an email from the EPO confirming creation of a new account.
- Click on the link in the email, and log in using the email address and password used at step 4.
- Use the web portal to register for the EQE under Rule 28 IPREE. Click on the “Registration to the EQE according to Rule 28 IPREE” button and not on the “Pre-examination 2017 registration and enrolment” button:
- Complete the required forms and provide copies of e.g. a certified identity document, a certified degree certificate, etc. and pay any registration fees.