Following the hugely successful workshop event in Cardiff earlier this year, Jonathan McCartney and Kim Bayliss at Haseltine Lake have generously agreed to give a workshop on the topic of ‘Writing an Infringement Opinion’.
“This workshop will explore the law surrounding patent infringement in the UK, and will look at how to apply it when writing an infringement opinion. We will briefly discuss the relevant sections of the Patents Act, and will also look at some key cases including Kirin-Amgen. Using a real-life example we will consider claim construction (Can 230mm ever be between 100 to 180mm? And when does a sock fit ‘snugly’?) and we will walk-through the preparation and writing of an infringement opinion for a client. Finally, we’ll be passing on our P6 tips as a boost for those sitting their Finals in October.”
This workshop will take place at Haseltine Lake’s Bristol Office on the afternoon of Friday 14 August, followed afterwards by the Informals Summer BBQ.
Times and Locations:
1:30pm to 2:30pm – Networking lunch
2:30pm to 5pm – Workshop by Jonathan McCartney and Kim Bayliss
5pm onwards – BBQ at Toto’s Wine Bar (subsidised by CIPA)
As places on the workshop are limited, they will be available on a on a first come, first serve basis. Please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your place as soon as possible.
Date: Thursday 21 May
Location: Pizza Express, Park Street, Bristol
Since 4/5 “experts” agree that we should eat pizza, I have decided that Pizza Express would be an excellent starting point for the next South West social event, this time taking place in Bristol. The meal will be generously subsidised by CIPA (and a Pizza Express discount voucher if I can find one!).
Please let me know by Friday 15 May at the latest if you wish to attend, so that I can book us a table.
I look forward to seeing you soon.
Informals South West Representative
Where: Goldbrick House (69 Park Street). Meet in the ground floor bar.
Anyone from Bristol, Bath, Cardiff or the surrounding area welcome, and please do bring other trainees from your firm!
Any information email Simon at SimonCarobene@greavesbrewster.co.uk
The Informals’ Social and Regional Secretaries have been busy organising events for you across the UK. We hope you can make it to one of them.
Some of the events are mentioned in the November issue of the Yellow Sheet, which should be making its way to your desks soon. This month’s issue has info on upcoming socials and lots of education-related news. If you really can’t wait for it to arrive you can download a copy from the CIPA website now (http://www.cipa.org.uk/pages/YSA)
- Trainees in the Midlands may be interested in attending the Informals’ Christmas dinner on 09 December in Nottingham. Email Sara Holland for more details or to confirm your attendance.
- As previously mentioned on the blog, the first event in the South West of England has been postponed until 04 December. Trainees in the South West and in South Wales are invited to Goldbrick House, Park Street, Bristol, from 6pm. The event is being subsidised by the Informals, so everyone who attends will get a free drink! Please contact Simon Carobene if you can attend or would like more information.
- The London Social Secretaries invite you all to the annual Informals’ Christmas Party. Come along for a festive get together at CIPA Hall, Thursday 18 December from 6.30pm ‘til late. Festive drinks and mince pies will be provided. Contact Barbara Durling for more info.
- Trainees in Birmingham should keep an eye on the blog and check for emails from Daniel Wolstenholme about December drinks at the Christmas market in Birmingham.
I have now decided to reschedule tomorrow’s event, as unfortunately I have not yet heard back from anyone who is planning to attend.
Therefore, the first event for the South West will now be taking place on Thursday 4 December at Goldbrick House on Park Street in Bristol at 6pm. I expect it should be fairly quiet, so I propose we meet in the bar on the ground floor. If some of you want to go straight from work and meet a bit earlier, feel free to do so (I have to travel back from Cheddar so 6pm is the earliest I can possibly get there!).
Please remember that this event is kindly being subsidised by the Informals and so everyone who attends will get a free drink! In order that I can gauge numbers, I would appreciate it if you could drop me an email to confirm that you will be attending.
The first event for the South West will be taking place on Saturday 15 November at Goldbrick House on Park Street in Bristol. I propose we meet for drinks in the cocktail bar from 7pm onwards and see where the night takes us!
I will also be organising socials in Cardiff and Bath at some point throughout the year, so don’t worry if you don’t live near Bristol.
For more details, or to confirm that you will be attending, please email me: SimonCarobene @ greavesbrewster.co.uk
You may recall that last month we announced we were looking for volunteers to form the 2014-15 Informals Committee. A number of trainees from across the UK have recently let us know that they would like to see more Informals events take place outside of London. The Informals Regional Secretaries already organise social events in a number of regions/cities outside of London already (i.e. in Cambridge, Birmingham, Oxford and “The North”). However, we realise that as the profession has moved away from being primarily London-based, so too should the Informals increase their presence across the UK.
This week, the current Informals Committee met up to discuss (among other things) better representing trainees from all over the UK. We are pleased to announce the creation of new Regional Secretary roles in:
- Scotland (covering at least Glasgow and Edinburgh) – taken on by Michael Ford;
- the Midlands (covering Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire) – taken on by Sara Holland;
- the South West (covering Bristol, Bath and even S. Wales) – taken on by Simon Carobene.
We hope that trainees, part-qualified and newly-qualified attorneys (both in private practice and in-house) will attend the events run by the new Reg. Secs., particularly since free drinks may be on offer! If there are any other areas in the UK where we could organise social events, please get in touch.